Wednesday, June 12, 2013

The Waiting Game

Why is it that when we wait for something, that something seems to take forever? That vacation in two months. The payday at the end of the pay period. Hell, it could possibly even be just a simple Friday at end of the week. Wait. Wait. Wait. I'm currently playing the waiting game. Being so competitive, I hate the waiting game. It's a lose/lose. The ball is not in my court. The phone has only 6% battery. The bank account has only $0.92. It's not good no matter how you look at it. Go ahead, try and look at it differently.

I told you so.

So which waiting game am I playing? Allow me to explain.


About three weeks ago, a strapping young lad entered the office. His lips were succulent. His eyes were dreamy. His hair was a little blown by the wind, but hey, you can't have your cake and eat it too, right? Anyway. Upon entering, we made eye contact and he immediately turned away. It was peculiar yet cute. He approached the desk and looked at the front desk manager sitting next to me.

"Hello ma'am. Can you tell me what I would need to do to live on campus during the summer?" She replied with the standard answer, "Absolutely! You will need to be enrolled in 6 credit hours." "Oh. Okay. I don't want to take any classes before I actually start so that's okay."

The entire time I was shooting laser beams into him  staring at him in a dazed state. He of course

"I also have another question. Can you tell me if the music building is open?" My manager noticed my fixated eyeballs me looking his direction. She slyly directed him to me. "Alex here can answer that better than I can." He glanced at me. I smiled. He smiled back then turned his head down. "The music building should be open. They usually are." He smiled....at my manager. "Okay. Thank you both for your help." He started to walk out of the door and glanced at me. He noticed he still held my gaze I was trying to keep eye contact and turned away.

I saw him walking away and I said out loud "Why didn't I give him my number?" Hindsight. What a bitch. Then I did what any normal person at work would do. Tweeted about it. "To whoever that strapping young lad with the succulent lips was that just came into the office, please come back and give me your name and number." The end.

Wrong.

I was sitting at my usual spot here in the office when my manager came in. She looked at me and said "I need to talk to you." I immediately knew I was in trouble. I usually stay that way. She pulled me into the hallway and said "You know that boy that you thought was cute a few weeks ago? The music building guy? Well, I found out that I actually see him when I leave class at night." I said "What?! Why don't you give him my number?!!" She laughed. "Do you honestly want me to? Because I will." "Well duh I want you to. Do it tonight!" She laughed again and said "I will if I see him."

The next day she came into the office. I was waiting to hear what had happened. She came in and had a smile on her face. I knew what this meant. She explained to me that before class, she went to the doctor because her leg was bothering her. The doctor had to remove quite a bit of excess fluid from her knee. She knew she had a test in class that evening, so she didn't want to take any major pain medication so she could take the test without being influenced by the medicine. By the time she left class, she was hot, sweaty, and looked awful. She was slowly walking to her car when he exited the music building.

"Ma'am, are you okay?" She looked at him and explained her situation. "Here. Let me carry your bag for you." She handed her bag over. "Thank you again for helping me a while back when I was in your office." "No thank you for helping me with my bags. It is my job to help you. But speaking of the office, I have someone in there that is interested in you." "Unfortunately, I am not interested in girls. I am sorry." He said. She laughed and said "Luckily for you, it's a guy." She said he perked up a bit. "Oh? Is it the boy I wouldn't look at when I was in there?" "Actually, yes." She said. Excited, he said "Really?!" She nodded her head. "Here. I am going to give you his number and you can text him if you'd like." "His number? Really?! I...I am kind of a shy person. I'm actually very shy. That's why I didn't want to look at him when I was in your office. Is it okay if I take your number as well? I mean, if I need your help or anything. I'm new to the area and I don't really know anyone." She smiled. "Not a problem at all." At this point, they reached her car. He opened her door for her, took her bag to the other side, came back around to her and said "Are you sure you're okay to drive? It's not a problem at all if I need to call your husband or anything." She said "No. Thank you very much though." He smiled and told her to have a good night.

Wait.

Now I wait. It's been two days now, and I've yet to hear anything from the music building boy.  My office keeps telling me to be patient. I don't have patience. I have never had patience. He seemed to be interested in me. I am interested in him. So now what happens?

There's only one thing that is keeping me between meeting this boy.

Wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment