Sunday, June 2, 2013

A Boy Who Likes Heels

I have been so bothered the past few weeks with a lot of things. The one thing that seems to be a continual frustration for me, is the fact that members of the LGBTQI community are so quick to say "don't judge us," yet, we are also the quickest to judge. I'm not going to sit here and say I don't judge. I do. I am a bitch, I admit. But, to simply put it, I'm human. It happens.  However, why must we be labeled?

I am a man. I like men. I like to wear women's clothing. I don't want to be a woman. I don't want to marry a woman. I don't want to look like, act like, sound like, or BE like a woman.

A friend who is very similar to me said "Do you realize that if we lived in a society where gender stereotypes weren't such an issue, it wouldn't be an issue at all that you are wearing heels right now."

Stop. Think...

How much more true can a statement be? Furthermore, why have we let it become a standard that a female in her boyfriend's boxers is natural, but a male in female panties is wrong? I'm not going to lie. As I type this, I even think the sight of this is peculiar. But why???

Let's backtrack a little bit. Why can't I wear a sequined top I purchased for $0.99 and some heels without being considered a "drag queen?" Is it the fact that I'm wearing a pink cat wig? Why can't I just do me? More importantly, if I were to do drag, do you honestly think I wouldn't try little bit harder?  

HELLO?

I guess at the end of my rant, I leave you with this. This dilemma I face on an regular basis.  Why must I have so many labels to describe who I am?  With all of these labels, which one am I?

Mammal.
Human.
Man.
Gay.
Fem.
Queer.

I am all of those. But which one am I? When asked to define myself, what do I say? In a perfect world, I'd get away with not being labeled as anything. Alas, the world isn't perfect and neither was my bar tab. So, what is that something? Why can't I just be a boy who likes heels?

No comments:

Post a Comment