Thursday, October 29, 2015

I'm Sorry

To the parent/guardian that just happened to find me in my office two hours after I was off work, 

I first and foremost want to apologize to you. I'm sorry that you have had to face many challenges raising the man sitting next to you because he has been diabetic his whole life. I know that must be frustrating at times, especially on days like today. I'm sorry that your son told you inaccurate information, and contrary to his belief, I'm not just a rule enforcer. If I could, I would have shed some light onto the situation and let you know what exactly he and his roommates were in trouble for, as it was much more than just having a full size appliance. What your son failed to mention is the week prior to me finding multiple policy violations in your sons room, he was sitting in the exact same chair you are. The course of the conversation ran a little different though. You see, your son is failing at least one of his classes, and as a job duty I had to meet with him. I admit, my speech was probably a bit dull when he heard it, as I had said it to about 20 other students sitting in that chair too. When I met with your son, I knew he was different. I'm not referring to him being diabetic, but I am talking about his lack of enthusiasm and drive. I now want to apologize to your son.

I'm sorry that you've been burdened with being diabetic. I know growing up it was probably difficult to explain to the other children in your class why you got to eat during extra times, why you may have had to go see the nurse more frequently, and why they might not have understood. I'm sorry that you grew up to be an athlete that probably got away with a little bit more than the average high schooler, because you generated the school money by being on their team. I'm sorry that you've now been in my office twice, and still don't really understand what it is I do, and why I'm meeting with you. I'm sorry that you don't see it now, but I care about you. I want you to live a healthy life, even if I took your toaster. I want you to go on after college and play sports professionally and make a gazillion dollars and provide for your family. I want you to understand that your actions today can impact and determine your tomorrow. I'm sorry that you don't understand this. Which leads me to apologizing to myself. 

Alex, I'm sorry that you can't get through this student. It's not your fault by any means. I'm sorry that when you found a large number of policy violations in this student's room, you were more upset than he was. I'm sorry that this parent/guardian who is critiquing and criticizing the thing you've put your heart and soul into is commenting on your "gay shirt" because they are frustrated you don't make policies. I'm sorry that you feel like you are the one with the problem. I'm sorry that you let this woman destroy the person you are by commenting on your sexual orientation in a negative way. I'm sorry that you let these words of spite make you question how strong of a man you are. 

 To all three people, the mom, the student, and the gay professional... I did not want these conversations to be like this. I did not want you to feel like you're not being heard or helped. I am sorry we have been brought up in a world where our problems can be so easily put onto someone else. But there's one thing I'm not sorry for...I'm not sorry that we came into each other's life. I think there's something that we can all learn. For me, I'm not sure what that lesson is, but I will continue to search for the beauty and love in all things, including the three of you. You're stronger than you know.

No comments:

Post a Comment