Friday, May 22, 2015

Alex In Africa - Goodbye Larema (Friend)

This chapter of my journey comes to an end today. There are many emotions surrounding this. I am excited, sad, hopeful....

I am sad to leave the place I've called home for the last 12 days. Uganda is a very special place, and will forever be something I keep with me. The food of Uganda has been something new and exciting for me. Dishes of hand grown vegetables, hand picked fruits, and freshly slaughtered animals with nothing artificial inside has been the food we've been eating each day. I've had a more balanced diet and regular eating times here than ever before. Each day we sat at tables with some of the most incredible people I've ever met. These people, the Sisters, are so selfless. They all lived during times of war and heartache, yet here they sit across from me with a smile on their face and a heart full of happiness and hope. I like to think of things back in America that I've considered troubling or problematic in my own life and realize how absolutely small and not actually troublesome these things are. As you know we did a lot of work in Atiak, and saved the orphanage so much money on labor. The contractor told us that he was going to take the money he saved and donate it to the orphanage to be spent how they saw fit. During our closing meal there, Sister Asunti said this; "Your work this week with Atiak has allowed me to look at myself and know that I can serve more. It has allowed me to remember why I chose to become a Sister. Although we cannot see God, I see God through each of you and the work you've done." Her statement seemed so peculiar to me, as when I think of sacrifice and serving, I think of her and the other Sisters. Yet she considered my journey here a sacrifice and such a service...hearing this from a woman who (just years ago) stood beside and forgave the very people tearing her world apart meant everything and then some to me. If the experiences weren't enough, this sentiment gave this trip and my life so much purpose. 

We were visiting with our driver Geoffrey and just sharing stories as we sat in a circle and I had mentioned the kindness of Uganda, and how I hoped to apply that kindness to my life back in America. He laughed and told us that he's been driving for many years, and while he's run into a lot of people from a lot of places, his favorites are those from Oklahoma. "When I see someone who isn't friendly, I then know they are not from Oklahoma." Throughout the week I've gotten to know Geoffrey fairly well. He has told us that we are the closest he's been with a group, as we've traveled together, worked together, sang together, and sweat together, which is something other groups don't often do. He told us that we have been the first group to do manual labor, and he is very fortunate to have been able to work with us. We were talking about Sister Rosemary's book "Sewing Hope," a new favorite of mine, and I was referring to the kindness of those in Uganda. Inside my copy of the book, Sister Rosemary signed and wrote "kindness is key."  I asked Geoffrey if he had read it. He told us no, he hasn't, because she could only bring so many with her and he wasn't able to receive one. Upon unloading the van of our bags, I gave Geoffrey a few items. Bug spray, because he has never had any that was good "like the American spray." He has severe malaria many times, something that isn't fun to have. A powerful flashlight, because in Uganda the flashlights are never powerful and most of them only work for a few days before they break. Lastly, I gave him my copy of Sewing Hope so that he could read it and feel what I felt when hearing so many stories. He didn't want to take it, but as I told him, "A wise woman once shared with me that kindness is key."

Last night we had the customary friendship cake with the Sisters back at Gulu. We were told we got a friendship cake, and then she said this... "It's not because it's the end, but because it's the beginning of a beautiful friendship." These words were so amazing for me. A friendship across continents and oceans, one that prior to this week was not likely. 

Something that each Sister said in her own way was "safe travels" as well as "tell you brothers and sisters in America of this journey, so that they too can be encouraged to do what they can to help." One Sister even told me, "Helping is not defined by the amount you give or the status of the person you're helping, but it's defined by the fact that you're doing what you can."  As we were saying our goodbyes there were many smiles and some tears. For I knew that while this is the end of this specific journey, it is only the beginning of advocacy for my friends many miles away in the heart of Uganda.

I am so fortunate and thankful of my journey, and hope to someday return. I also hope that if you are reading this you too can have a similar experience, as it is life changing. To those that I've met along the way, I say thank you for your kindness and hospitality. To those who helped get me here, I say thank you for your generosity and love. To my friends both new and old, I say thank you for impacting my life, safe journeys wherever life takes you, and above all; kindness is key.

No comments:

Post a Comment